Soup is not my favorite food in the world, but when I am craving it- I gotta have it! And I want delicious soup that doesn’t take hours to make. I came across this recipe and had to share because not only is it amazing, but it’s hubby and babe approved AND loaded with vegetables!! Not to mention 21 Day Fix approved as well! The last time I made this, I doubled it so we would have leftovers for a few days.
Yield: 4 servings
1 serving: 1 1/2 cups
- 2 tsp butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped carrots (about 2 medium)
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth (1 (32 oz) box)
- 4 cups broccoli, roughly chopped
- 2 cups cauliflower, roughly chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt & pepper, to taste
- 2 cups broccoli, chopped into small pieces
- 1 1/3 cups shredded sharp or extra sharp cheddar cheese
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat, then add the onions and carrots. Cook, stirring occasionally until they start to soften (they will finish cooking later, so don’t worry about trying to make them super soft).
- Next, add the roughly chopped broccoli (DO NOT add the broccoli that you chopped into small pieces yet!), the cauliflower, 1/2 tsp salt and the broth. Cover and simmer until veggies are all VERY soft. You should be able to mash them against the side of the pot with the back of a spoon.
- Meanwhile, cook the broccoli that’s been chopped small in the microwave. I put them in a glass casserole dish with a lid and a couple of tablespoons of water, then cooked until very soft. It took about 5 minutes or so, but all microwaves are different so keep an eye on yours the first time you make this.
- Once veggies from the pot (with the chicken broth) are soft, puree the mixture in the blender in batches until all of the contents of the pot are pureed. Return to pot.
- Heat pot on low heat. Stir in the shredded cheddar cheese and the cooked finely chopped broccoli until all of the cheese is melted. Add pepper to taste. Serve!
Container Equivalents: 1 1/2 GREEN, 1 BLUE, 1/4 RED, 1/2 TSP
Give this a try tonight and let me know below in the comments your thoughts 🙂